You’ve heard of brisket burnt ends — you know, those magical morsels of beef amazingness. But have you tried them with pork belly? This pork version is super tender, full of flavor and so easy to make. And be sure you get enough to feed a crowd, because they will be coming back for seconds, and thirds.
SMOKED PORK BELLY BURNT ENDS
For the Pork Belly Burnt Ends:
- 5 lbs pork belly, sliced into cubes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 cup dry rub
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup favorite BBQ sauce
- 3 tblsp unsalted butter
- 2 tblsp honey
• 5 lbs as it gives me enough to get good size bites.
• Trim off any extra fat or skin.
• Then cut the meat into 1 1/2 to 2 inch cubes.
• Apply EVOO (enough to coat the meat) and your favorite dry rub on the cubes
• Smoke for three hours at 225-250 degrees or until you like the color of the meat.
A nice bark will form starting around the three hour mark. This can take longer based on so many factors like wind and how much bark you like. The key is, once you put into the braising liquid, your bark is done forming.
• Add the cubes to a pan (a heat-proof disposable pan). Into the pan add the braising liquid. We use BBQ sauce to really add that extra flavor (about 1 cup), 3-4 tablespoons of butter, which adds richness and acts as a fatty binding agent for bringing the sauce and honey together, and then 2 tablespoons of honey (or agave) to bring a stickiness and sweet characteristic. Then mix them all together.
• Cover and braise in smoker for another 60 – 90 minutes. You will find that the liquid braises at or near a boil and that the fat renders down in the burnt ends keeping the pan moist. Again, you have added additional fat in the butter, the honey as a binder and the sauce for flavor to really render out the fat that is in the pork belly
• Remove the foil pan cover and cook for another 15 minutes to let the heat tack up that sauce, as you would with ribs or other sauced meats. Remove and eat. It’s that simple. And that delicious!
P.S. If you want to received email recipes to your inbox just CLICK HERE to sign up and start getting ideas to your inbox.
This was found at http://www.vindulge.com/2017/05/smoked-pork-belly-burnt-ends-recipe-and-video/